Sunday, December 6, 2015
Live Coverage on ESPN
The College Football Playoff Selection Day presented by AT&T – airing Sunday, December 6, from Noon-4 p.m. ET – will feature the announcement of the teams participating in the two Playoff Semifinals – the Capital One Orange Bowl and the Goodyear Cotton Bowl – at approximately 12:30 p.m., as well as extensive analysis and discussion. Additionally, teams selected for the other four New Year’s Six bowls (Allstate Sugar Bowl, Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl, Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual, Fiesta Bowl) and the final Top 25 rankings will be announced close to 3 p.m.
Selection Committee Protocol
Pairings will be made based on the following:
Pairings for Semifinals.
- The team ranked No. 1 by the selection committee will play team No. 4 in the semifinals. Team No. 2 will meet team No. 3.
- When assigning teams to sites, the committee will place the top two seeds at the most advantageous sites, weighing criteria such as convenience of travel for its fans, home-crowd advantage or disadvantage and general familiarity with the host city and its stadium. Preference will go to the No. 1 seed.
Pairings for Selected Other Bowl Games.
- All displaced conference champions and the highest ranked champion from a non-contract conference, as ranked by the committee, will participate in selected other bowl games and will be assigned to those games by the committee. If berths in the selected other bowl games remain available after those teams have been identified, the highest ranked other teams, as ranked by the committee, will fill those berths in rank order. (Note: A “displaced conference champion” is a champion of a contract conference that does not qualify for the playoff in a year when its contract bowl hosts a semifinal game.)
- The committee shall create the best matchups in these bowl games in light of the following considerations. None of these considerations shall affect the ranking of teams. Also, none of these considerations will be controlling in determining the assignment of teams to available bowl games.
- The committee will use geography as a consideration in the pairing of teams and assigning them to available bowl games.
- The committee will attempt to avoid regular-season rematches when assigning teams to bowls.
- To benefit fans and student-athletes, the committee will attempt to avoid assigning a team, or conference, or the highest-ranked champion of a non-contract conference, to the same bowl game repeatedly.
- The committee will consider regular-season head-to-head results when assigning teams to bowls.
- The committee will consider conference championships when assigning teams to bowls.
- Selection committee will rank teams 1-25.
- Selection committee will place teams in the playoff semifinals bowls.
- Contract bowls will fill their berths in accordance with their contracts.
- Selection committee will assign teams to remainder of the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowl berths.
To view the full selection committee protocol, click here.
College Football Playoff Selection Committee Rankings Week 9 - Week 14
Week 9 - For games played through October 31
Week 10 - For games played through November 7
Week 11 - For games played through November 14
Week 12 - For games played through November 21
Week 13 – For games played through November 28
Week 14 – For games played through December 5